B.A., Gardner-Webb (1988)
M.Div., Duke (1991)
M.A., Ph.D., Vanderbilt (1997, 1999)
James P. Byrd
Associate Professor of American Religious History
Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Research
James P. Byrd's research interests center on theology and biblical interpretation in American history, religion and war, and the history of Baptists and Methodists in America. His latest book is Sacred Scripture, Sacred War: The Bible and the American Revolution (New York: Oxford University Press, 2013). He is currently writing a book on the Bible and the American Civil War.
Recent news and reviews
- Christianity Today names Sacred Scripture, Sacred War one of the top books of the year
- Washington Post, "Was the American Revolution a Holy War?"
- Christian Century, "War Sermons"
- Review of Sacred Scripture, Sacred War in Journal of American History
- Review of Sacred Scripture, Sacred War in Christian Century
- Review of Sacred Scripture, Sacred War in Religion in American History blog
- Review of Sacred Scripture, Sacred War in Christianity Today
- Sacred Scripture, Sacred War included in Thomas S. Kidd's Five Compelling Books on the American Revolution
- Religion in American History
- Religion, Slavery, and the Civil War
- Religion and War in American History
- History of the United Methodist Tradition
- American Revivals
- American Apocalyptic Thought and Movements
- Theology in America, 1630-1865
- The Theology of Jonathan Edwards.
- Sacred Scripture, Sacred War: The Bible and the American Revolution (Oxford University Press, Spring 2013)
- Jonathan Edwards for Armchair Theologians (WJK)
- The Challenges of Roger Williams: Religious Liberty, Violent Persecution, and the Bible (Mercer University Press)
- "We Can If We Will: Regeneration and Benevolence" in After Jonathan Edwards: The Courses of the New England Theology (ed. Oliver D. Crisp and Douglas A. Sweeney, Oxford University Press, 2012)
- "The New World of North America and Canada and the Globalization of Critical Biblical Scholarship" in The Hebrew Bible / Old Testament: The History of Its Interpretation, Vol. III, the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries (ed. Magne Saeboe,2013)
- "Baptist Tradition and Heritage" in Encyclopedia of Religion in America (ed. Charles Lippy and Peter Williams, CQ)
- several articles in The Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity.